Thursday, February 7, 2013

By Any Means . . .


To commemorate Black History Month I will discuss some of the most important Black leaders that impacted my life - the first being Malcolm X.

Growing up as a Black man I learned to live with racism, stereotypes and fear. Each has become intertwined in my personality, characteristics and actions. Often causing me to lose myself and making it even more difficult to find myself. My struggles and triumphs were often bittersweet simply because I was Black. In high school, I traveled almost 2 hours every day from my predominantly black neighborhood to a predominantly white high school in the north suburbs of Chicago and then 2 hours back home. I realized the differences and similarities of our cultures. However, one of the most intriguing things that I discovered was that I no longer fit in my culture. I was now an outcast because I talked different and went to a White school. Nevertheless, in school I was still the Black kid that didn't quite fit in because of the cultural differences. The great thing about my position in life was that I was young and nonchalant. But feelings of inadequate and doubt lay dormant, and would awaken from time to time. It is during this time I met Malcolm X.

For an assignment, we were given the option to read The Autobiography of Malcolm X with Alex Haley. While I simply chose this book because I had seen the movie & thought it would be an easy A, little did I know that Malcolm’s story would open my eyes to a better understanding of my life as a Black man. Interestingly, his life gave me confidence in the plan God had for my life. His ability to basically self-educate & impact so many lives gave me a vision of what God had called me to become. I also connected with the struggles he had fitting in with his Muslim family & the burden he carried when he transformed his beliefs of the Muslim teachings. His leadership showed me that being a leader was more than just coveting the spotlight, but being an example even when your closest friends & others around you have fallen & may be against you. As I look back now it amazes me how God used the life story of Muslim to impact the life of a Christian. So I would definitely encourage all to read The Autobiography of Malcolm X with Alex Haley.

Happy Black History Month!!

No comments:

Post a Comment